If you need help paying for school, you can apply for OSAP (the Ontario Student Assistance Program). OSAP is a government loan that helps you pay for school. If you qualify for OSAP, you can apply online. Apply early so you get your loan when you need it. If you are approved, you can pick up your loans at your school’s Financial Aid Office.
Do I qualify for OSAP?
To be considered for OSAP, you must be:
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person
- A resident of Ontario
- Enrolled in an approved post-secondary school taking an approved program
- Taking at least 60 percent of a full course load, or 40 percent if you have a permanent disability
- Taking a program that will go on for 12 or more weeks
You also need a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) to apply for OSAP.
How can I apply for OSAP?
You can apply for OSAP funding online. Have your SIN number ready!
When do I apply for OSAP?
The deadline for an OSAP application is 90 days before the end of any academic year. If you are applying for the first time, and starting school in September, most schools recommend that you apply by June to ensure that your [no-glossary]loan[/no-glossary] is ready when you start school in September.
How can a Financial Aid Office help me?
Have questions about getting your OSAP cheque? Contact the financial aid office at your school. They can answer your questions. It is also where you pick up your OSAP loan cheque if you are approved.
To find your school's financial aid office, check the school’s website, or ask someone at your student centre.
At your school's financial aid office you can:
- Find out about aid available through your school
- Ask your OSAP-related questions
- Sign your confirmation of enrolment
- Pick up your loan/grant certificate if you are approved for OSAP funding
- Request a review of your OSAP assistance if you think you are getting the wrong amount of money from your [no-glossary]loan[/no-glossary] (too much or too little)
- Update your personal info, like your marital status, financial information, assets, etc