What Do I Do If I Need Optometry (eye-health services)

If you are having problems seeing or reading, you might need get your eyes checked. To take an eye exam, visit an optometrist (eye doctor). Find an Optometrist near you on the Ontario Association of Optometrists website https://www.optom.on.ca/

OHIP covers the cost of one major eye exam (for vision and general eye health) every 12 months, plus any minor assessments you need, but only if you are:

19 years and younger

65 years and older

If you are 20 to 64 years old, and you have a specific medical condition affecting your eyes that requires regular monitoring, OHIP will cover a major eye exam for you once every 12 months and any follow-up appointments related to the condition. Covered conditions are:

diabetes mellitus



retinal disease


visual field defects

corneal disease


recurrent uveitis

optic pathway disease

OHIP may also cover a major eye exam if it has been requested for a specific reason by your doctor (they will need to give you a referral form).

You may be eligible for additional eye care if you are on the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Ontario Works