If this is your first time getting a driver’s licence, you will need to go through 3 steps. In Ontario, you need to get a G1, G2, and finally a G licence to drive anywhere in Canada.
You Will Need:
- To be over 16 years old
- Identification – (1) a personal ID, like a health card, AND (2) a foreign or Canadian passport, citizenship card, a Permanent Residency Card (PRC) or other permanent immigration documents, or temporary immigration documents.
- A Car (for the road tests)
Step 1: Get Your G1
To get your first licence (G1) you will need to take a written test. To prepare for the test, order or read the Driver’s Handbook online for rules and regulations of driving in Ontario.
- After you get familiar with driving rules, go to a DriveTest Driver’s Examination Centre near you to write the test.
- You need to bring personal identification AND proof of immigration status with you to take the test.
- The G1 written test costs $10.00. However, when you go to a DriveTest Driver's Examination Centre, you will be asked to pay $125.00.
- $10.00 towards your first G1 test.
- $75.00 towards your 5 year licence.
- $40.00 towards your first G2 road test.
- If you fail your first G1 test and wish to write it again, you will have to pay another $10.00.
You can write this test in different languages so check with your local Driver Exam Centre to see which languages are available. To help you write the test in your own language, many community organizations have translated versions of the Driver’s Handbook.
You should know:
Once you pass your G1 written test, you must wait one year before you can take the road test to get your G2. If you are registered in a driving school, you only have to wait 8 months. Find driving schools near you.
Step 2: Get Your G2
You need to take a G1 “road test” to get your G2. This means that you will be tested on your ability to drive safely and follow Ontario’s driving rules.
- When you think you are ready to take this test or have completed driving school, you should book a test with DriveTest.
- You need to have a valid G1 driver’s licence number with you to book your test.
- You also need to bring a car, your G1 driver’s licence, and a fully licensed driver who has been driving for at least four years.
- This test will cost you $40.00. If you paid $125.00 during your G1 test, you won't have to pay anything for your first G2 test.
You should know:
Once you get your G2, you must wait one year before you can take the road test to get your full licence (G).
Step 3: Get Your Full (G) Licence
You need to take a G2 “road test” to get your full G licence. You will be tested on more advanced driving skills. The process of getting your G is similar to getting your G2:
- When you think you are ready to take this test you should book a test with DriveTest.
- You need your valid G2 drivers licence number to book your test.
- You also need to bring a car and your G2 driver’s licence.
- This test will cost you $75.00.
There are many rules you need to follow after you get your licences. These include the number of people you can have in your car, what level of alcohol you are allowed to have, and certain places you are allowed to drive. Make sure to look up or ask about the full list of rules so you don’t accidentally break them!
Still have questions?
Join the conversation on our discussion forum:
If you take your test & fail how soon do you have to wait before you can try again? Can you go the very next day?
I have a question. If my mother doesn't drive and my dad is out of the country and my family relies on me after turning 16 so I can drive and finally will be able to do things like go to a grocery store; I heard I can wait a month after getting my g1 to get my g2 if I spend that month in driving school. Is this true?